The Q&A Archives: Why does my crimson pygmy barberry have crumbly leaves?

Question: My gut says it's not getting enough water, but I'm wondering if it's overwatering that's the problem.

Answer: Crumbly leaves can indicate sunscald or dessication from hot weather/winds, or lack of moisture. (Overwatering usually produces sickly yellow leaves). To efficiently water your barberry, build a berm to hold water. This watering basin or watering well should be a circle of soil about 12" away from the main stem of the plant and about 3-4" high. When you water, fill the basin and allow to drain, then fill it a second time. You should only have to water once a week (twice if the weather is really hot). Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture over the root mass and allow it to trickle down to fully saturate the roots. Best wishes with your shrub!