The Q&A Archives: Bugs eating flowers

Question: I am noticing my flowers are being eatten in my front yard. I have perrenials and annuals. The leaves have holes and are turning brown. What can I use to stop this?

Answer: Insects can make holes in leaves but they don't usually eat just the flowers. Caterpillars will consume flowers but they also eat leaves. If only the flower petals are being eaten you could be seeing damage from earwigs. There are so many possibilities that I can't really recommend a product to control the pests. Most pesticides are specific to the type of insect, whether it be beetles or caterpillars. Try capturing a few of the pests and having them identified. Once you know who's feasting on your plants you'll have a better chance of controlling the pests. Good luck with your garden!