The Q&A Archives: Silver Queen Palms,aspen,silver dollar eucalyptus

Question: I just bought a new house with no landscaping. I would like to plant 3 silver queen palms in the front by the house in a triangle stagered size configuration. Is it better to plant a smaller palm or can I do 18 ft, 15ft, 13ft or should my largest be 15ft,13ft and 10ft. What is a healtier size.I also wanted to plant Aspens and silver dollar eucalyptus will these do well in my area?

Answer: Silver Queen Palms have a very fast growth rate once established so I'd go with the more economical smaller sized trees, give them a year to become established, and then stand back. They will grow quickly for you, and may end up being the same size in a few years. If you want a real difference in their heights, choose trees that are much more different in height when you first plant them than your suggested 2-3'.

Both aspens and eucalyptus trees will grow in your region. Aspens will need supplemental watering in the summer time; eucalyptus can tolerate droughty conditions once established.

Best wishes with your new landscape!