The Q&A Archives: yellowish brown patch in the lawn

Question: I treated brown patch with multupurpose pesticides which kills grubs, chinchi bugs, etc and all kinds other insects although I did not detect any under-lawn pests. Could my lawn problem be due to fungus. How can I differente between pesticide & fungus damge.

Answer: There are several tests you can make before deciding whether or not the brown spots are the results of insect feeding. The easiest is to scrape your shoe over the top of the grass. Any chinch bugs will hop onto the top of your shoe. Grubs feed on grass roots. If you can pull the grass up because there are no roots anchoring to the ground, grubs have consumed the roots. Grubs can also be detected by digging up a piece of the lawn, roots and all. Grubs will either be right on the soil surface or hanging onto the roots of your turf. Those are the two most common lawn pests in your gardening region. If you find none, inspect the brown areas in your lawn for signs of fungal spores, mushy areas, etc. If you find none, fungus isn't the problem. Compacted soils or lots of thatch can keep moisture from penetrating the soil and your lawn can turn brown in those areas. Aerating or dethatching will help with those problems. Hope this information helps you determine just what might be causing the brown patches in your lawn.