The Q&A Archives: Zucchini

Question: We bought zucchini seedlings at a greenhouse. The plants look like zucchini but they are producing melon shaped fruit that looks like a zucchini when I cut it open. Is that a new variety of zucchini or do I have cross pollinated seed? They are growing next to some bush cucumbers and I have no melons in the garden. Thank you for any information you can give me.

Answer: It's difficult to say whether the seed is at fault, but there is a variety of zucchini called 'Roly-Poly' that's round rather than long. Perhaps that's what you purchased. As with all summer squash, cross-pollination can occur but the results will only be evident if you save seed from this year's fruit and plant them next year. There's no telling what you may end up with!