The Q&A Archives: Controlling Septoria in Community Gardens

Question: I garden at a community garden plot. Each year, I have problems with my tomatoes and eggplants. The tomato leaves turn yellow and spot (seem to match pictures of Septoria). Eggplant leaves turn yellow from the bottom up. Peppers are fine. Do you have any ideas to prevent septoria? I have mulched with plastic, no water from above, and rotated crops. I have kept eggplant coverd with tents of lt Remay until flowering. Could this be in the air? Or coming from another plot? It's breaking my heart. Gail Barbosa Columbia, MD

Answer: Community gardening could help encourage this blight. Even if you are gardening in the same plot every year your plants can be infected from nearby plots. And septoria persists in the soil year after year. Some control measures include removing and destroying (burning) all plants in the fall after the harvest; clean cultivation/weed control, and crop rotation. You should also keep out of the garden when the plants are wet after a rain or watering -- the fungus is easily transmitted when you brushagainst the plants.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"