The Q&A Archives: pine mulch

Question: I live in Wasilla Alaska. I would like to use black pines ( cut down 2 years ago) to make mulch using my chipper/shredder. Is it a good mulch or will it harm the soil and surounding plants? Is it ok to also use fresh cut trees for mulch?

Answer: Chipped or shredded black pine makes a great mulch material, especially around acid loving plants. When you apply mulch around your trees and shrubs, or spread it on a perennial bed, keep the mulch material about an inch away from the trunks or stems of your plants. If it is too close it can trap moisture and cause the stems and trunks to rot. A good depth for mulch is 3-4 inches. Anything thicker than that can shed water and keep the roots of your plants from getting the moisture they need. Good luck with your landscape!