The Q&A Archives: Lantana and Hibiscus growth

Question: I have 3 hibiscus, sm,med & lg, & none are blooming or are getting bigger.
I also have 3 lantanas, purple, yellow and red/orange, & they arent blooming or getting bigger.
I water both kinds on a regular basis w/ fertilizer as well.
A friend told me to not water as that will make the plant bloom, but that hasnt worked either. Please help!

Answer: This time of year your plants are just surviving due to the extreme temperatures. They won't begin to grow again until about September or October. I find that the yellow lantana will bloom in July and August but the orange and purple seem to wait for cooler weather. When they do bloom you can encourage growth and more flowers by pruning them back as the blooms begin to fade. Hibiscus grows and flowers best from March through June. It will wait for cooler weather and then grow and bloom again in September or October. All plants need regular water all year around and all will bloom better if you feed them in February. Hope this information helps!