The Q&A Archives: Fertilizer Frequency

Question: I have a typical North East lawn (fescue/rye/bluegrass). I fertilzed in early June because the lawn looked like it needed some nitrogen. We had a very rainy June and July, and now (Early August) my lawn looks like it did before the application of fertilizer in June. Is now an ok time to refertilize with a summer mix, like the Scotts Summerguard? During July I applied weed-b-gone as well.

Answer: We generally recommend feeding your lawn in April, June, September and late October. Since you fed in June, I'd suggest waiting until late August or early September to feed again. I know you want a green lawn, but the summer heat will stress it and feeding probably won't green it up to any great degree until the weather cools. Best wishes with your lawn!