The Q&A Archives: Tomato plants

Question: I have a small elevated (enclosed) vegetable garden plot covered with shade cloth (75%). I have 3 tomato plants (Early Girl). Soil is rich with compost, well-watered (I think--drip system) and I use Miracle Grow. Very poor tomato harvest this year and plants are drying out quickly. Is there anything else I can do to help my tomato production? Thank you.

Answer: Although you sound as though you are doing everything right, the extreme temperatures over the last few weeks is probably taking its toll on your tomato plants. There's not much you can do for them. Keeping the soil well watered will help them stay alive but the hot air is bound to dessicate some of the leaves. I'd just nurse them along for the next 2-3 weeks. By then the temperatures should moderate and your plants should begin growing and producing fruit again. Best wishes with your tomato plants.