The Q&A Archives: St Augustine Replacement

Question: Hi - I was wonderng what type of grass would be a good alternative to St. Augustine. One person I know in my neighborhood wants to plant Bermuda grass. But I do not think that it would look OK in a community of only St Augustine Grass here in Orlando FL We have Bahia grass but it dies in the winter when it gets dry.

Answer: Of the warm season turfgrasses recommended by the University of Florida, St. Augustine, Bermuda and Zoysia are the most commonly grown. There are many cultivars of each, and each has it's own set of pro's and con's. I can't decide for you but I can steer you to a publication for the University that contains links to each of these turfgrass types along with results of their studies. There are photos, etc. which may help you decide which turfgrass is right for you:

Hope you find it helpful.