The Q&A Archives: Tomatoes, corn, watermelon

Question: My tomatoes have fungus I have not been able to eat one. One of my watermelons were about 6-7 pounds and I knocked on it it was ready. I cut it up it was all white no fruit?
My corn wont grow It's been a good 4 monthe for everything. I bought blood meal and always good fertilzer. What am I doing wrong?

Answer: It's difficult to judge when watermelons are ready to harvest. The little tendril next to the stem will dry up and the bottom of the fruit will be a mellow yellow color. Watch that little tendril and when it begins to dry up, harvest a melon. I think you'll find it ripe. Tomatoes can develop all kinds of fungal diseases so your best approach is to purchase disease resistant varieties, give them lots of sunshine and ample air circulation all around, and try to keep water off the foliage. Corn grows and matures according to soil and air temperatures. You can't hurry them along, though. Next year try growing short-season or cool season varieties. Hope this helps!