The Q&A Archives: Making a new rose garden

Question: I made a wood frame 4x4 to enclose a new raised bed rose garden. How many bushes should I plant in it? I want to remove all grass growth from the area before adding top soil to the bed and maybe plant the rose bushes next year.What else will I need to amend the soul with?

Answer: Unless you are planting miniature roses, you'll have room in your 4 x 4 raised bed for a single hybrid tea rose. Hybrid tea roses grow at least 3' wide and it's important to have good air circulation all around to discourage disease problems. So choose a single rose bush for your new garden bed, or 4-5 minature roses.

Remove the existing vegetation and then spread a 4-5 inch layer of compost, peat moss, or other organic matter over the top of the bed and dig it in to a depth of about 10 inches. Your new rose bush should thrive. Enjoy!