The Q&A Archives: watering fruit trees

Question: I want to start growing some oranges, tomatoes, and maybe some grapes and blackberries. Should i get the watering in place prior to setting up a planned arrangement. What is a good way to come up with a plan for a DIY? or, do i need to hire a consultant? and what type of prep work should i do to the soil.

Answer: If you have specific planting areas in mind, I'd certainly set up a sprinkler or drip system prior to installing the plants. Begin by working your soil - removing all vegetation and then spreading a 4-5 inch layer of organic matter over the growing areas. Dig this in to a depth of 8-10 inches then level the area for planting. Install your water delivery system first and then your plants. Depending upon they type of system you want to install you'll need to take some measurements. Either system can be sketched out on paper or you can use one of the handy brochures available at Home Depot that comes with a grid. Once you've sketched everything out you can use the brochure to determine a parts list. Helpful staff can guide you step by step. Best wishes with your new project!