The Q&A Archives: moving plants

Question: I have several different types of plants and trees I would like to move around in my yard. I want to know what is the best way to take them out of the ground from where they are and plant them somewhere else.

Answer: Although you can move plants in the heat of the summer it will stress them a great deal so moving in the cooler months is our first recommendation. Each plant can be trimmed back for ease of handling and all should establish quickly in the fall or spring. Expect the roots to extend out past the tips of the branches and be concentrated in the top 12-18 inches of soil. Try not to sever too many of the roots when you dig. I find that soaking the area the night before the dig makes it easier to dig so you might try that. Make sure that when each plant is re-installed it will be growing at the same soil level as it was before. Best wishes with the move!