The Q&A Archives: Choosing a Trellis for Clematis

Question: I am considering a clematis to train up a gutter. What type of trellis or support do you suggest? This area receives full sun with the needed shade for roots so the growing conditions are ideal. I am interested in something functional but not unsightly during non-seasonal growth. Many thanks! Liz Allert Palatine, IL

Answer: Clematis vines climb by twisting their petioles (stems of leaves) around any available support. I've found that a wooden trellis is unsuitable because the wooden slats are too wide. A wire trellis would be appropriate because the wires are thin and would also be strong enough to support the weight of the vine as it got bigger. Chicken wire would not be strong enough but a heavier grade wire might do the trick. Since Clematis are woody perennials the stems would provide winter interest and would probably hide whatever trellis you decide on! Good Luck!