The Q&A Archives: Ailing Andromeda

Question: We have three andromeda that the leaves are turning yellow and appear to be drying out even though we have had a very wet spring and summer. I have not taken a ph sample of the soil but I have Korean boxwoods close to them and are thriving. I assume the soil is acidic. I have applied some Miracle Grow for evergreens that has created some new growth, but that may be a coincidence. Thanks, Walter

Answer: Soggy soils can cause the yellowing leaves. Miracle Gro is an excellent fertilizer for pieris and should help green up the leaves. There's not much you can do about excessive rain, though. I'd prune the shrubs back to encourage healthy new growth. Acidic soil is fine for pieris. In fact, you can spread a mulch of peat moss over the soil beneath the plants to further acidify the soil. Prune them back and they should respond with healthy new growth. Let's hope the rains let up enough for the soil to dry out a bit!