The Q&A Archives: Planting new bed in clay soil.

Question: In past I've added to my clay foundation peat moss & a 50/50 soil mixture then 2yr added Humus. This time I have perennials which require a plentiful organic matter. Should I wait 2yrs to incorporate (ex: humus) into my bed? I've heard I can burn my plants if I don't wait. HELP

Answer: Your soil can be turned into rich loam if you add organic matter on an annual basis. You can spread 3-4 inches of compost or aged manure over the bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches and then plan on adding another 2-3 inches each spring. I'd spread some organic matter over the bare soil around the perennials now to act as a weed suppressant then plan on digging it into the soil in the spring and adding more organic matter next spring. A few years of this process will turn your clay soil into wonderfully healthy garden loam. Best wishes with your garden!