The Q&A Archives: Bishops weed

Question: Every summer, just as my flower garden begins to look it's prettiest, my Bishops Weed begins to turn brown in patches. I hate having to cut it back right in the middle of the summer. Can you tell me what is causing this and what I might do to prevent this brown out?

Answer: Bishop's Weed (Aegopodium podagraria) is a vigorous groundcover that grows best in full shade to partly sunny conditions and thrives on water. If yours is getting too much sun, it may just give up when the situation gets too hot and bright. Since it's a deciduous perennial it dies back after it sends out little flower stalks. If you keep the tops cut down the leaves should continue to grow for the rest of the summer. Check out the growing situation for your Bishop's Weed. It may need to be moved to a shadier area.