The Q&A Archives: Green Peppers

Question: I purchased a few yellow and red sweet pepper plants and they were doing well. They are in my green house. Then one got this black stuff on the leaves, looks like a black dust. It is droopy and seems to be dying. Now the other sweet pepper plant has the same issue.

Answer: I wonder if the black dust is sooty mold? If you can scrape it off with your fingernail or wipe it off with a dampened paper towel, it's probably sooty mold. If so, look for insects feeding on the leaves or stems just above the sooty mold. When they feed they excrete a sticky substance called honeydew which eventually turns black. Insecticidal soap will control aphids, whiteflies, mealybugs and other sucking insects. Good luck with your garden!