The Q&A Archives: Completing new lawn seeding

Question: I used a cover material from Home Depot over new grass seedings. It is not disintegrating very fast? Can I pull it up (been 3 wks)? When can I stop watering? Thanks

Answer: The covering is an organic material and will decompose eventually. I wouldn't pull it up - you might pull up the roots of the grass along with the covering. It will be covered as your lawn matures and grows thicker and it will decompose if left alone. You will need to water your new lawn deeply twice a week for the rest of the summer, then once a week during the fall and winter months. Just gradually taper off on your watering regime, applying water for a longer period of time but less frequently to encourage your turf to develop a deep root system. Good luck with your lawn.