The Q&A Archives: Pruning Garden Mums?

Question: My garden mums are growing quite large, with mostly leaves & few flowers. Do I need to prune them to get them to be smaller with more flowers? If so, what's the best way to do this?

Answer: You can pinch them back to encourage a bushy growth habit. It's usually better to begin pinching your mums in the spring and all through the early summer months. In the early spring, pinch the new growth back when it is about four inches high. Nip off the growing tips every other week until the middle of July. This will encourage the plant to grow bushy and will increase the number of flower buds on the plant. It will also delay the flowering until fall. Go ahead and pinch your plants back now and when flower buds develop pinch out all but the center bud. This will give you one large flower per stem instead of 4-5 smaller ones. Good luck with your mums!