The Q&A Archives: Radishes are all tops

Question: My radishes grew to be all tops and almost nothing underground. I used bone meal then tried again with the same result. What can I do to promote underground growth?

Answer: Red radishes grow better in very cool weather and can even be planted a bit before the last frost in the spring, then continuing in succession ever ten days or so until the weather turns too hot. One of the most common reasons for all tops and no radish is overcrowding, so make sure to plant them a bit apart (about an inch) and to thin them as they grow. (You can eat the thinnings, of course.) Heat, lack of water, and overly rich soil can also cause excess tops at the expense of the roots. I'd plant again - in late August. I think your next crop will be more successful. Enjoy!