The Q&A Archives: Golden Aucuba

Question: I have a golden aucuba potted on my front porch. I've have it for about 2 years it has grown alot this year and is beautiful. Recently some of the leaves are getting brown spots on them. I know its a sign of some sort, but not sure what it means. Too much water, sun? Not enough water, sun? Any advice?

Answer: The spots can be sunscald (especially if it is subjected to hot afternoon sunshine) or they could indicate a fungal or bacterial disease. I'd prune off the affected leaves to encourage healthy new growth. Double check, too, for the kind of sun exposure your plant is getting. It will grow best in bright shade but can take some morning sun. Maybe all you'll need to do is move it from one side of the porch to the other. Best wishes with your aucuba!