The Q&A Archives: What type of plants to place in Part shade

Question: I have a section of my yard that faces the street and is this space sits against my house. It's perfect for mass flower growing. The thing is it does not get direct sunlight. What types of flower plants would you recommend. My first choice was marigold, but they require 6 hours of sun and daily waterings. My second was tickseed/coreopsis, since they are perenials and attract butterflies.

Answer: All the plants you list require more sun that the site receives. How about trying these shade loving perennials: Begonia, Blue Sage (Eranthemum pulchellum), Daylily (Hemerocallis, Flax Lily (Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata'), Golden Shrimp Plant (Pachystachys lutea), Jacobinia (Justicia carnea), Jewels of Opar (Talinum paniculatum 'Variegata', or Peacock Ginger (Kaempferia species). Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your garden.