The Q&A Archives: Nut Grass is Flower Beds

Question: I have nut grass in my flower beds that I cannot get rid of. If have dug in the soil and removed all the nuts that I could find, but the nut grass keeps coming back. Is there some chemical that I can use that will kill the nut grass, but not bother my other plants and shurbs?

Answer: I wish there were an easy solution, but there just is not. Glyphosate (Round Up) will kill nutgrass but it will kill other plants, too, so you'll have to use it very carefully. About the only real control is to dig all the plants out of the bed, treat the nutgrass with Round Up and then cover the entire bed with weed barrier fabric. Once it is in place cut holes or slits in the fabric and replant your shrubs and perennials. The weed barrier should keep the nutgrass at bay. Hope so!