The Q&A Archives: Pomegranate Won't Fruit

Question: My pomegranate bush had a multitude of flowers on it this spring but has not fruited. It has a southern exposure. I've never grown one of these before but it was here when I bought the house. What are the reasons it might not fruit and how do I care for it?

Answer: Some varieties of pomegranate set fruit, but most don't. Pomegranate is Punica granatum. All have showy flowers, tolerate alkaline soil, and much heat. 'Chico' has double orange-red flowers over a long season, but doesn't set fruit. 'Legrellei' has double creamy flowers heavily striped with coral red, but no fruit. 'Wonderful' is the best known fruiting pomegranate. It bears orange-red single flowers up to 4 inches across, and develops fruit if given ample, deep watering in the spring and summer months. If your's is a fruiting variety, try giving lots of water after flowering. If yours is an ornamental variety, enjoy those double blossoms!