The Q&A Archives: Something wrong with my lawn

Question: I'm having a terrible time this year with brown lawn. I'm watering a good deal and the brown/yellow grass feels as though it's getting watered well. I just can't get it green. I've fertilized and applied iron. What could be going wrong?

Answer: There are both cool season and warm season grasses. It could be that your lawn is composed mostly of cool season grasses which die out when the weather gets warm but then green up again when the weather gets cool in the fall months. Or, it might be that your soil has become compacted and the water is not soaking in but instead is running off. If this is the case, you can aerate your lawn this fall and overseed. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn. Best wishes with your lawn~!