The Q&A Archives: Hosta

Question: I planted a Hostas this year and all seem to be doing fine,flowering, etc.except one. The leaves look like they are

Answer: It may not be insects bothering your hostas, especially since you've already baited and used Sevin. There may be crown rot due to poorly draining soil. I'd dig up the plant and inspect the roots and the crown of the plant. Remove anything mushy or off color and replant. If it still doesn't thrive, you may want to simply replace the plant. Sometimes the growing conditions appear to be just right but a plant is still not happy. In these cases, removing the plant and replacing it is much easier than trying to nurse it back to health. Wish I had something more positive to share with you.