Answer: The mold growth is perfectly normal. It occurs when the organic mulch is decomposing. These fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the mulch to dry out will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of mold, just rake any mulch on the soil surface to expose it to air and sunlight. It's perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!
Q&A Library Searching Tips