The Q&A Archives: how to get an angel wing begonia to bloom

Question: I've had an angel wing begonia for about two years. No flowers yet. I keep it indoors in winter and outdoors in summer. Mostly sunny to part shade. Fertilize about 1x month. No blooms yet. Will it ever bloom? I have cut it back once each year. About to give up. It has beautiful leaves! Never flowers. Help! Bobbie

Answer: Angel Wing Begonias enjoy average household warmth, bright light, and moist soil from spring through autumn (water sparingly during winter). Moist air is necessary, so place the pot on a tray filled with pebbles and keep about a half-inch of water in the tray. Mist around the plants daily, but don't spray water on the leaves. As soon as the dry air is eliminated, your plant should bloom. You can fertilize during active growth (spring-autumn) with a diluted liquid houseplant food. Hope your plant blooms prolifically!