The Q&A Archives: Flowers for Wedding

Question: For my wedding I would like to give out seed packets for my wedding favors. My fiance's name is William, so I am going to give out Sweet William seed packets. My name is Jacalyn, and I don't know of any seeds that have the name "Jack" or any form of that name. If you know of any please send me their name.

Answer: Well, I had a little trouble with this one! The only thing close I could find was Jack Be Little miniature pumpkins (available from Burpee). And Jack-in-the-Pulpit is a wildflower; I'm not even sure you can get seeds for it, though I haven't looked.

I scanned another catalog and found these wedding-sounding flowers:

Centaurea moschata 'The Bride'--A type of cornflower, described as "very fragrant, perfect for cutting, highly recommended"

Gypsophila elegans 'Garden Bride' --the classic baby's breath you find in bouquets, this variety has pink and white flowers

Hibiscus trionum 'Simply Love' -- lots of big blooms, easy to grow.

Pansies, 'Romeo and Juliet'

Sweet peas 'Royal Wedding'

All these are available from Thompson & Morgan (

Finally, since buying that many packets of seed could get expensive--Pinetree Garden Seeds ( sells small packets of seeds at a very reasonable price. The packets aren't very exciting--just stamped with the plant name, no nice photo. Just thought I'd mention it.You might also be able to get a discount if you're buying lots of packages. Congratulations!