The Q&A Archives: Virginia creeper- poisons that break down

Question: besides pulling the veins/ roots out.. is there an easy way to control them from coming into an area?

also is there a brand name for weed control that the poison will break down after a few hours. i used to have some but i threw the bottle away and now i dont remember the name or anything. I live near a pond and i dont wish to posion the pond. it was told me to use piosn that break down..

Answer: You can cut the vines of the virginia creeper down to soil level and then spray or paint on glyphosate (round up). This product will kill plants on contact so be careful around desirable plants. It translocates down to the roots of the plants but does not travel in the soil. It breaks down in the presence of sunlight and fresh air. Perhaps this is the product in question.