The Q&A Archives: North Star cherry tree with-out roots

Question: Early this spring I had a Home Depot gift card and i used it to buy a cherry tree. The ball was in a cloth bag with a label that stated

Answer: There's still a lot of controversy surrounding planting the balled and burlap trees with the bags attached. The theory is that the material will decompose and the roots will escape. And, eventually it will. But in the meantime, the roots can become girdled (grow around and around and eventually strangle itself). Your question did not arrive in a complete way so I'm guessing that you want to know how to proceed now. You did the right thing by digging up the tree and removing the bag. This will free the roots to grow in a more natural fashion. If the bark fell off, you planted the tree too deeply. Excess moisture against the bark of a tree trunk will cause it to rot. I hope you reset the tree a little higher in the ground so the bark is no longer below the soil surface. With any luck the tree will establish itself and grow into a fine specimen. I hope so.