The Q&A Archives: When to Transplant Hollyhocks

Question: My father has blooming hollyhocks this year. Some are over 7-8 feet tall. I would like to dig up several and transplant them over at my house. What is the best time to do this--Spring or can I do this this Fall? And what is the proper procedure to do this.
Thanks, Sharon

Most Hollyhock varieties don't bloom until their second year. Some plants will go on and act like perennials, but others will fade away once they bloom. At the base of the plant, however, you may find smaller sideshoots which can be transplanted in early spring. In my experience, it would be better to wait until spring. It's difficult to transplant a large hollyhock successfully (although smaller seedlings move quite easily), so you might want to wait until after they bloom to try it. Also, remember that the tops are very tall and slim; they may actually look better crowded together (as long as they have full sun along with adequate water and nutrients). Good luck with your hollyhocks!