The Q&A Archives: Azaleas

Question: When can azaleas be dug up and transplanted. Also, old-established azaleas that have a lot of dead limbs within the shrub, I know to remove, but is there a better time to remove these. I live in Atlanta, Ga.

Many thanks!

Answer: You can dig and transplant your azalea in the late fall or early winter, or after it has finished blooming next spring. You can prune out the dead limbs and branches on your established azalea at any time. If you want to do a complete pruning job, wait until right after it has finished blooming next spring and then prune it back. Azaleas spend the summer months developing flower buds for the following spring's floral display so you don't want to prune it back now or you'll lose next year's flowers. Enjoy your azaleas!