The Q&A Archives: Leyland cypress

Question: HI. I palnted 2 Leyland Cypress infront of my house 9 years ago. They are beutiful, but are getting to big. Can I cut them down to a smaller size, and if so how and when do I best do that. Thank you Asa Knef

Answer: Leyland Cypress is fast-growing (3-4 feet a year) and can be sheared to promote a bushy growth habit. It is an excellent choice for quick screens, hedges and groupings. Spring is an excellent time to prune, but you can trim them back now. Pruning encourages additional growth and shearing just a few inches from the tips of the branches should force growth inside the plant near the trunk as well as at the site of pruning. Annual pruning will be necessary if you intend to keep your cypresses under control. I shear mine back with hedge trimmers but you can selectively prune with hand pruners. Good luck with your Leyland Cypresses!