The Q&A Archives: Gophers

Question: I have wooden raised beds 4' by 10' and about 1 foot high. Can gophers climb up the sides to enter my beds? (I have stainless steel netting at the base of the soil). If so, should I line the outside surfaces with something slippery like aluminum siding?
Thanks! LeeAnn Chiao

Answer: Gophers spend most of the lives underground. It would be quite unusual for them to climb up the side of a raised bed. Typically they plow through the roots of plants as they are digging their tunnels. They don't necessarily target plants or plant roots, they just gnaw through any roots that are in their way. It won't be necessary or even helpful to line the sides of your raised bed. The hardware cloth or stainless steel netting you've used to line the bed should deter them. Good luck with your raised bed garden!