The Q&A Archives: Hollyhock Trouble

Question: My hollyhocks were knocked down in a bad storm. I had close to 50. They all broke about a foot up from the ground. Some were has tall as 7-8ft. Should I just leave them, cut them below where they broke or something else? I would like them to come back again, though I would not expect them to grow again this year.

Answer: What a shame to have all of your hollyhocks blown down! To help prevent disease, remove the fallen plant parts and cut the stems just below the injury. Your plants may very well sprout new leaves and side shoots this year. Because plants need the leaves for photosynthesis, the plants may not survive - or they may surprise you and regrow next spring. Try removing the damaged plant parts and applying a little fertilizer to encourage new growth. Good luck with your hollyhocks!