The Q&A Archives: Getting rid of treated wood

Question: My deck is surrounded by planters built of treated railroad ties and ants have taken over them. How to get rid of soil & ties?

Answer: Disposal of CCA-treated wood is generally under the jurisdiction of state and local solid waste management authorities. CCA-treated wood used for residential uses can be disposed with regular municipal trash (i.e., municipal solid waste, not yard waste) in many areas; it should not be burned or used as compost or mulch. However, because state or local laws may be stricter than federal requirements it is recommended that you contact your local waste management agency for instructions.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by cocoajuno and is called "Here's looking at you."