The Q&A Archives: Hydrangea

Question: Why won't my hydrangea blossom? It is in a mostly shady area.They have blossomed in previous years, but nothing this year. Any suggestions?

Answer: Hydrangeas bloom best when they get at least 4 hours of morning sunshine, but they will bloom sporadically in less sunshine. They develop flowers on the new growth of the season. If you pruned them back late this year, you may have pruned off potential flowers - or if they froze back to ground level, they may not bloom this year. The only other reason for non-blooming might be a late frost. I'd give them the year off without penalty. Prune them back next spring to encourage lots of new growth and hold back on nitrogen fertilizer to encourage flowering. Good luck with your hydrangea!