The Q&A Archives: Holly bush

Question: Hi,

I have 2 holly bushes, one of which just died. i don't know if the dead one is male or female. Do I have to get a replacement male or female? What would happen to the other holly if I didn't--would it die?

Answer: Your remaining holly will be just fine without a mate, but if it is a female and there are no males in the neighborhood, it will not produce berries. If it is a male, it won't produce berries at all. You might wait to see what happens this fall or next to see if you need to replace the dead holly. If your remaining holly is a female, it may develop berries if there is a male holly somewhere in the neighborhood. Or, you can wait until next spring when it flowers. Male flowers typically have longer stamens; female flowers have a slight swelling at the base (the ovary). Hope this information is helpful!