The Q&A Archives: Perennial Dieing

Question: I purchased many Shasta Daisy plants and planted them 3 to 4 weeks ago. Two of the plants are shriveling up and dieing, not sure why or what to do? I do not see any bugs or bite marks on the plant. HELP!!!

Answer: Newly planted perennials can go through a stressful adjustment period, especially when planted in mid-summer. It can take several weeks for them to become established during which time they can look pretty pathetic. The best thing to do is shield them from hot afternoon sunshine (I drive a couple of stakes into the ground and attach row cover or even a piece of cardboard as a temporary sun screen). Water them deeply once or twice a week to help the roots establish. Give this a try and if it's not too late, the roots will establish and new growth will appear. Hope your plants recover!