The Q&A Archives: Selecting a Garden Location in Tallahassee, FL

Question: I am trying to find the best location in my yard for a garden. My concerns are too much or too little light. In one area it is shaded, but not dark, until midday, then sunny the rest of the day. In another, it is full, hot sun all day without a break. I'm concerned the full sun area might be too hot. (It averages in the high 90's here in the summer.) Which would be better for my garden area? Thanks for your help! Melinda Bartoszewicz Tallahassee, FL

Answer: Is it possible for you to have two gardens? One for cooler-type crops and the other for heat-loving crops? If not, I think I would choose the shadier of the two spots. As long as it gets 6 or more hours of sun each day you should be able to grow any common garden plant.