The Q&A Archives: Elephant Ears plant

Question: I ordered some elephant ears plants from a company and received them in good condition. However, when I transfered them to a 10

Answer: I'm sorry you're having trouble with your elephant ears. Elephant ears (Colocasia esculenta) grow best in partial to full shade with soil that drains well. They do like a steady supply of water during the summer to grow those gigantic ears, just make sure the soil doesn't stay wet. I think a 10" pot is too small for your plants. They have extensive root systems so they can support those gigantic leaves. Try a container that's about 5-gallon and fill it with potting soil. Water it thoroughly and then allow the top inch of soil to dry out before watering again. When frost kills the leaves, cut them off and dig the tuber. Brush off excess soil and store in dry potting soil or peat moss in a cool, dark place that remains above freezing. In the spring replant in the container, water well and stand back. You should get lots of new foliage.