The Q&A Archives: triming crepe myrtles

Question: My crepe myrtle (like others in nashville) only just started blooming but only partially - this had me thinking: can I cut back and trim? I also want to trim back because it blocks view now due to all the lower branches of the fountain from the deck - SO can I trim/shape/reduce and hope for it to bloom next year? AND>....when is best time if I can?

Answer: You can prune your crape myrtle back now. Trimming after the first flush of blooms are spent will often trigger a second flush of flowers later in the summer. You can also prune it back in early spring when new growth begins. Again, since it flowers on new growth, pruning in early spring will assure you have lots of new growth and lots of flowers. Enjoy!