The Q&A Archives: sticker weeds

Question: We bought a house in March and had sticker weeds in our yard - they died off when it was real hot but now they are coming back - what can I put on the yard to get rid of these stickers and when should I do it?
Thank You

Answer: To control sandbur weeds, apply a pre-emergent herbicide such as Scott?s Halts before sandbur has a chance to germinate in the spring. Germination dates can vary, so applications in late February or early March would be safe. A second pre-emergent application 60 days after the first will help extend control into late summer. Spray sandburs not controlled by the pre-emergent herbicide with MSMA (such as Green Light crabgrass killer with MSMA). Used according to label directions, it is safe to use on your agrass. Best wishes with your lawn!