The Q&A Archives: Blue Berries

Question: I live 20 miles south of Daytona Beach, Can I plant Blue berries here or will the frost kill them, and if i can when is the best time to plant them..thanks alot

Answer: Two types of blueberries grow well in Florida, rabbiteye (Vaccinium ashei) and southern highbush (interspecific hybrids of V. darrowi, V. ashei and V. corymbosum). However, only the low-chill cultivars of each are adapted to Florida. Generally, rabbiteye blueberries grow well in areas of Florida that have winters as cold, or colder, than Ocala. The southern highbush cultivars that are commonly grown in Florida are well adapted to areas south of Ocala and north of Sebring, although they will grow reasonably well in Alachua County.

Rabbiteyes are self-unfruitful and require cross-pollination from another rabbiteye cultivar(s). The harvest season for rabbiteye blueberries extends from May to July, depending on the cultivar. Some of the best cultivars for your region include: Sharpblue, Misty, Flordablue, Avonblue, Beckyblue, Climax, Bonita, Tifblue, Climax, Powderblue, Woodard, and Brightwell. Be sure to mix two or more for best fruit set.