The Q&A Archives: dwarf crepe myrtle

Question: I read in Southern living about a crepe myrtle bush that only grows 3-5 feet. Where can i find these and what are they called?

Answer: There are several small (dwarf) crape myrtles. One is called Baton Rouge which is a weeping red growing 2-3 feet tall; Bourbon Street is watermelon red, weeping, 2-3' tall; Chica Pink and Chica Red are Small Dwarfs 2-4' tall; Dwarf Low Flame is Red and grows 3-5' tall; Okmulgee is a dark red upright dwarf growing 3-6' tall. Since these are specialty items, you can probably only find them through specialty nurseries. I found mine at Fanick's Garden Center Inc., 1025 Holmgreen Rd., San Antonio , Texas 78220, Phone: 210 - 648 - 1303. You might be able to find them locally if you phone around. Best wishes with your search.