The Q&A Archives: Is my citrus tree dead?

Question: We planted dwarf lemon, orange, and kumquat trees in our backyard this past June and the orange tree appears to be doing great, but the the lemon and kumquat have lost all of their leaves and the branches look brown and shriveled. So is the tree dead and need to be replaced in the spring? Or will it come back?

Answer: Citrus trees can take up to a year to establish and sometimes they look really pathetic because they lose their leaves. If only the branch tips are brown and dead looking, the roots may still be alive; if whole branches are brown and dead, you may need to replace the trees. Try pruning off the obviously dead parts of the branch. If you can find green tissue in the branch, it is still alive. If not, the tree is dead and should be replaced. I'd wait until cooler weather - November or December - to replant.